The Verity Podcast
The Verity podcast is hosted by author, speaker and public theologian Phylicia Masonheimer. Covering topics of faith and culture from a biblical perspective, through a historical lens, the podcast is designed to inspire you to ask better questions, go deeper in faith, and defend your beliefs with both grace and logic.
Featured Episode: Legalism
- In this episode we discuss the epistles of Paul, John, James, and more! We cover how they came to be used in the church, how early they were used and quoted, and why there was debate surrounding their inclusion. This wraps up our five-part walk through of the canonization of the bible - but wait there’s more! Next week we will discuss the Apocryphal books and the gnostic gospels. Stay tuned!
- Now entering the New Testament, this episode discusses the questions surrounding reliability, timing, and authorship of the gospel accounts. Are the gospels our only way of knowing Jesus lived? What about secular testimony and connection to eyewitnesses? We discuss gnosticism and why certain “gospels” were excluded from the canon in this first of a two-part episode series on the NT canon!
- In this episode, we discuss the Ketuvim: the third portion of the Hebrew Old Testament. Also known as the Writings or in Greek, the Hagiographa, this group of books is represents an different way of looking at God than do the Prophets or Torah. Writings also contains some of the more hotly debated books in the canon.
- As we discuss the second section of the Hebrew Old Testament, we talk about why early authority matters for the prophetic books of the Bible, what books were contained in the original list of “prophets”, and why prophetic canon matters for Christians today.
- In this episode we discuss the authority of Torah, or Pentateuch - the first five books of the Bible! We chat about JEDP theory, whether or not Moses authored the book, and why it was considered authoritative for Israel. This is a very detailed episode so be ready to take notes!
About Your Host
Phylicia Masonheimer is a best-selling author, speaker, and founder of Every Woman a Theologian. She teaches strong-hearted women how to follow Christ’s call in work, home, and the world.
She writes about the Bible, productivity, and sexuality on her website, and her latest book is entitled Stop Calling Me Beautiful: Finding Soul-Deep Strength in a Skin-Deep World.
She lives with her husband and two daughters in northern Michigan.
The Verity Podcast
Subscribe to the Verity Podcast where you love to listen to your podcasts. Spotify, Apple, Sticher, Castbox, or Google– we’re on there and ready for you to listen.