The Verity Podcast
The Verity podcast is hosted by author, speaker and public theologian Phylicia Masonheimer. Covering topics of faith and culture from a biblical perspective, through a historical lens, the podcast is designed to inspire you to ask better questions, go deeper in faith, and defend your beliefs with both grace and logic.
Featured Episode: Legalism
- It's not easy out here in these dating streets! How do you ask good theological questions of a potential date? When do you give grace for differences and when you do draw the line? We talk about all this and more in this episode plus answer some listener questions on Christian Dating. Resources: How Relationships Have Changed with Dating Apps 44 Questions to Ask Before Getting Engaged Short History of Dating URLS: How Relationships Have Changed with Dating Apps: https://scrippsnews.com/stories/how-relationships-have-changed-since-surge-of-dating-apps/#:~:text=Dating%20apps%20have%20expanded%20the,attitudes%20toward%20dating%20have%20shifted. 44 Questions to Ask Before Getting Engaged: https://phyliciamasonheimer.com/44-questions-we-asked-before-getting-engaged/ Short History of Dating: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/ztrptrd#:~:text=Dating%20%2D%20the%20term%20can%20fill,or%20a%20mixture%20of%20both.&text=The%20first%20use%20of%20the,getting%20turned%20by%20other%20men.
- After receiving multiple questions about consequences in parenting (and asking them herself) Phylicia dove into Scripture to see what it said about consequences, condemnation and punishment. Are they the same? Different? If different, how? This episode looks at the Old and New Testaments for guidance on how God disciplines His own kids, which can in turn guide how we discipline ours.
- After last week's episode about women teaching theology, a lot of questions came in about "shallow", pink fluff bible study settings. How do we take them deeper? Is it possible? In this episode Phylicia shares some practical ways you can take a "social hour" bible study session to something with real meat.
- In this episode Phylicia confronts a question that caused a tizzy on the internet: Can women teach theology to other women? We look at The definition of theology Whether men are the transmitters of spiritual authority What Scripture says about women prophesying How to teach theology in a healthy and biblical way
- How do I identify prosperity gospel, and what does it mean? This episode breaks down the true gospel v. the one presented by the "word of faith" movement, discussing how this theology misinterprets key passages of Scripture and how we can discern through it.
About Your Host
Phylicia Masonheimer is a best-selling author, speaker, and founder of Every Woman a Theologian. She teaches strong-hearted women how to follow Christ’s call in work, home, and the world.
She writes about the Bible, productivity, and sexuality on her website, and her latest book is entitled Stop Calling Me Beautiful: Finding Soul-Deep Strength in a Skin-Deep World.
She lives with her husband and two daughters in northern Michigan.